Expect The Unexpected During A Home Remodeling Project
Every home remodeling project begins with a vision. As you embark on the journey to turn that vision into reality, you’ll set a number of expectations for the project.
But as the saying goes, the best-laid plans go to waste. It’s more than likely that throughout the course of the remodeling process, at least some of those expectations you set will not be met to your specifications.
While there are a variety of reasons why hiccups in a plan can occur (some of which are unavoidable) they will likely all leave you with the same sour taste in your mouth. But if you factor in potential diversions, both your ability to handle unexpected crises and your emotional well-being will improve during the course of a remodel.
Here are a few areas where the unexpected can insert itself into your remodeling project, and what you can do to take control of potential issues.
Budgets are always a tricky subject for those looking to remodel. A recent article from CBS News claimed that 37 percent of home remodeling consumers don’t even set a budget for their project. Those that do outline their spending limit often miscalculate the true cost of a remodeling project or fail to factor in any bumps in the road that might cost them additional cash.
In order to keep this issue from impacting causing you heart palpitations, make sure that you set two budgets: a project budget and an overall budget. The project budget should be 90 percent of your overall budget, so the remaining 10 percent of your money can be used for unexpected costs that might come up during the process.
It’s also a good idea to get bids from three different home remodeling companies or contractors. This will help you determine what the appropriate budget range should be for your project. Be aware that going with a cut-rate option could ultimately cost you as much as a higher priced option will, since shoddy installation practices or substandard products can lead to additional maintenance costs down the line.
Remodeling projects can test patience to extreme levels. We live in a society that craves instantaneous results, but the reality is that remodeling work takes time to complete. Even when home remodeling consumers factor in an adequate amount of time for a project, unexpected delays can push back the completion date.
Don’t let delays catch you off guard! When you set a project timeline, tack on at least a few weeks to account for any delays from bad weather or product issues. Better yet, if your project isn’t delayed, you’ll have the gift of a few extra weeks in your refurbished home.
If you work with a home remodeling company, they will likely come to your home to take measurements, discuss products and provide an estimate. But even with all these preparations in place, issues can still arise during the course of the project — particularly if products are defective or aren’t installed properly.
There are ways to minimize the chances of this happening to you. Check the reputations of the remodeling company you get bids from. In particular, check independent review sites such as Angie’s List or Yelp! to see if product-related issues are common with a remodeling company.
It’s also a good idea to ask installers or contractors about what procedures they have in place to handle any issues that might arise during the construction products. Also ask what issues they commonly face, and how they resolve them. The more mentally prepared you are for any product-related issues, the less likely you’ll feel overwhelmed if they arrive.
A Final Word
The unexpected is unpredictable, but it doesn’t have to derail you. If you budget extra time, money and patience for your project, you’ll be set for whatever issues might come your way.